Discover how to effectively use Instagram Highlights to optimise your profile.
Instagram’s highlights feature allows you to add any Instagram story to your profile page in the form of categorised ‘stories’ – including stories that you have previously posted (and are stored in your archive). You can customise your highlights with titles and images. It provides a perfect opportunity to add to the aesthetics of your profile and as an additional avenue to push content to your audience.
How do I add a story to my Highlights?
You can add stories to appear on your profile as highlights, even after they disappear. They appear below your profile photo and above your feed.
To add a story to a highlight:
- Go to your profile and tap Story Highights below your username and bio.
- Tap .
- Tap to select the story or stories you want to add to highlights, then tap Next.
- Choose a cover photo and enter a story name for your highlight, then tap Add (iPhone) or Done(Android). You can add more photos or videos to your highlight at any time by tapping Edit Highlight.
Note: Stories you add as highlights remain visible as highlights until you remove them, even after the original story has disappeared. Keep in mind that those you’ve allowed to see your story can also see your highlights.
Instagram Highlights Top Tips
- You can add multiple stories images and videos to your highlights. The maximum you can have is 100 (then the oldest one will be deleted).
- When you add a new story to the highlights, it will bump that highlight to the front.
- If you have an image as your highlights cover, you can drag, zoom and reposition the image so that it is central. Any videos as a cover will show the first frame.
- You can have up to 15 characters in the title of your highlight – but bear in mind only the first 10 will show.
- You can add emojis to the titles of your stories – these are included in the character count.
- If you would like to create some interesting icons/graphics for your story, apps like Easil have done most of the leg work for you with their pre-made templates!
- You can delete a post from a highlight by selecting the highlight – scroll through to the story you want to delete. Tap the three-dots at the bottom right of the story. From there you can choose ‘Remove from Highlight’ to delete it.
- Instagram only displays the first 4 highlights across your profile (users will have to scroll to see the rest, so keep your important ones at the front by adding fresh content.
- You can add a story to multiple highlights, which is useful if it fits more than one category.
How are you using Instagram highlights? Have you found another tool for creating icons? What categories do you have for your highlights?
You might enjoy these other articles: